Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hello from the Ladybug

Hello, I am Lucky Ladybug. Both Crystal Rose and I will be using this account, so to differentiate between us we will use different colors of text in our posts. I will always use blue.

I suggested we start by telling a bit about what we like about Simon Oakland. These reasons will be expounded on in the various musings we will be posting, but here are my feelings, version 1.0, the condensed edition.

My first encounter with Simon Oakland was, I believe, in an episode of Perry Mason called The Case of the Frantic Flyer. He played a rather bad fellow, but there was still something that I liked. I can’t say whether it was the character himself or if it was the actor shining through. This was many years before I even knew who Simon Oakland was or could recognize him offhand. But I am certain of one thing: I was very aware that he was quite handsome.

Over the years I encountered him in several roles without recalling his name. Finally, upon discovering Kolchak: The Night Stalker, I kept hold of Simon’s name and looked up his other credits. His cantankerous yet loyal character Tony Vincenzo quickly got into my heart.

What I love most about Simon Oakland is that he could take any role, any good or bad person at all, and make that role his own. The characters come alive and feel real. And who can forget his wide range of expressions? Simon had an amazing talent for visually capturing every emotion possible, many of them right in the same episode or movie.

My favorite character type of his is the tough, gruff, old softie. Many of his good guys fit into this type in varying degrees, including Tony Vincenzo, General Moore, and Captain Bennet.

I welcome you to this blog and hope you will enjoy the read. I plan to muse on many of Simon’s characters in specific, as well as random interesting things I’ve observed.

~Lucky Ladybug

No comments:

Post a Comment